At work, I use a mix of Git for Windows, Atlassian’s Sourcetree, and Magit in Emacs. The latter is what I am trying to use fulltime, but old habits tend to stick around.
For some reason, however, I would get the following error message when trying to pull/push/fetch from the origin remote:
128 git.exe … "fetch" "origin" fatal: protocol error: bad line length character: git@ When faced with this error, I always reverted to using Sourcetree, as that has been my previous main Git client.
This little project was as brilliant as it was simple. I own a number of Raspberry Pis, a couple of 1B, 3B and Zero W. I did get a standard Zero variant from Microsoft on a conference, as they handed them out in conjunction with an initiative for Azure.
I am really addicted to these small things, and always have to constrain myself from buying more. Especially since I’ve not really managed to do something productive with them lately.
My love for Python has increased from a lot to even more since I started, yet again, with completing various challenges on projecteuler.net. It just so easy and fun to create small scripts. As with this post, I usually use Emacs for the text editing of these smaller programs. But, being lazy, I am not that interesting in finding extensions to write things like autocomplete et al, as my interest grew to write larger programs in Python.
On a number of occassions, I’ve had some sort of crash happen on my Ubuntu 18.04 systems. Bugs are unfortunately something that will always exist, which is fine as long they aren’t resulting in unrepairable damage. On Ubuntu (Gnome?), this will usually result in a dialog appearing in which one can choose to report the issue that happened, titled “System program problem detected” (shown below).
Knowing how valuable this kind of information can be for developers, I usually choose to report the problem.
If given the choice, then Hyper-V wouldn’t be the hypervisor I’d pick first. Don’t get me wrong, there are a number of things I really like:
Ability to overcommit the number of virtual CPUs compared to the number of logical ones on my computer. The out-of-the-box integration with Windows guests. The ability to passthrough the hardware acceleration for virtualization (VT-x) on Intel CPUs. But then there are some of the things that I don’t like:
My main email client on all computer platforms is Thunderbird. I used to only make use of the web site related to my various emails, but having the email available offline is a must for me. At work I am forced to use Outlook, which I actually think is also great. But at home, I want to have a cross-platform client and I do enjoy Thunderbird being open source/free software.
Since a few years back, I’ve started to take a great interest in IT security. I’ve known that I should create not only strong password, but they should be unique to each site. After the Gentoo hack, I realized that I am not capable of doing this. I find this article describing the various aspects of bad password habits to describe my own, and other people I’ve talked to, experiences, behaviors, and justifications.
Since Ubuntu 18.04, which is my current distro at the moment, I’ve started to be quite fond of Gnome Shell. A lot of the early design decisions that I disagreed with have either been fixed or are available as extensions. Below are the extensions that I use.
Alternatetab - I use this in order to get Thumbnail and application icon on the tab switching interface. I also choose to only show the windows on the active desktop.
The need arose for me to reformat my virtual machine running Linux Mint in order to increase its disk space. This led me to yet again experience the issue of the Linux Mint system settings being incorrectly displayed as “Bluetooth” in Docky. Not remembering how I fixed it the last time, as some time had passed, I desperately asked the Internet to give me a solution.
To my surprise, information concerning this issue is very sparse.
I am a satisfied owner of a Nokia 925, running Windows Phone 8.1. But one of the things I really disliked, was that I couldn’t get the calendar app to follow the time settings of the regional format I used. My setup at the time was:
Phone Language: English (United States) Regional Format: Swedish Keyboard: Swedish Despite the regional format being Swedish, with the 24h time format was not used in the calendar app.