This is one of those things that has bugged for a while, but that I just recently got around to fix. By default, Emacs uses tabs (and spaces) while indenting a line. As tabs aren’t the same in every editor, it will very often look weird when you look at the code. Therefor, having Emacs instead do the indentation with spaces will universally fix it. Just add the following lines to your ~/.
Giving Eclipse another shot to see if it could replace Netbeans as my IDE for C++, I wanted to see if I could compile the server for my Gaoth project. Since MinGW already was installed, it found and chose it as the default compiler, which was great. It was, however, when I tried to link in SFML that I got into some trouble as it was very unclear of how it should be done.
If you’ve been looking at examples of terminal commands, you will most likely have seen that there is a dollar ($) sign in front of the actual text. The dollar sign means that you are doing the command as a normal user. The pound (#) sign means that you are doing it as the root user. If you start a terminal as a normal user, you will actually see the dollar sign and the vice versa with the pound sign.
Once you go foobar2000, you never go back. As I am currently trying to use Linux as my main OS, it became a big annoyance that none of the music players in Linux Mint’s repository were anything like foobar2000 in terms of speed, low memory usage and the awesome playlist centric GUI. After scouring the web I finally stumbled upon DeaDBeeF which is pretty much identical to the look and feel of foobar2000.
Due to my love for the Windows 7 taskbar like applet DockbarX, I’ve found myself installing Linux Mint 11, as it makes use of Gnome 2.32. The goal I had was to have a desktop environment that is similar across the OS’s, as I don’t want to spend time relearning things every time I reboot. One of the first things I noticed when I changed the background color of the gnome-panel to a dark one was that the text of the clock applet became unreadable, as it is set to a black color.
I have now made or partially made parsers for the B3D, X3D and X file formats, which means that I am currently working on my actual thesis. Having only skimmed through the rules earlier, I found out that I need to pretty much be done with the thesis in just a little more than a week. Seeing as my time already was somewhat constrained, this will most likely mean that I won’t be posting anything here for at least 3 weeks or so.
Since last post I’ve been working on the MD2 and the X3D file formats. The MD2 format is a really neat, compact format designed for speed and ease of use, which made the implementation really easy. It was, however, not that trivial to extract the contents of the file. Seeing as I prefer not to a quick and dirty hack all the time, I wanted to make a binary reader which could read from little and big endian based formats and translate the contents into the format that the system uses.
The weekly summaries were harder to maintain than exptected, but there wasn’t really that much of excitement during the first week to justify a post.
This week I’ve worked on finishing the COLLADA parser, which I am pretty much done with. There are some tags that aren’t parsed correctly (i.e., not at all), but otherwise it is pretty complete. With some quick and dirty hacks I was able to take out the information needed to display a mesh (which contained submeshes) onto the screen.
Summary Technically, this isn’t a week that I really have been working on the project, but it is an important week nonetheless.
This week I made an initial project plan schedule, chose five formats to work with and created some folders and files in my Dropbox directory (it’s always nice to have a backup!).
My reasoning for choosing the formats that I have, is that they first and foremost can be exported by Blender.
Today I have begun working on my bachelor’s thesis, which will be about comparing different graphics (3D) file formats.
The initial plan is to create some kind of a parser for the COLLADA, MD2, MDD, XSI and X3D formats and then compare their strengths and weaknesses.
This is really exciting, as I now will be able to work on my COLLADA parser and extend it outside of just my spare time.